chevron background

Saturday, June 14, 2014

Guardian Angel

 
A good little friend of mine turned 14 today. But unlike many other teenagers, he spent his birthday looking out for others. He gave instead of received.
Also unlike many other teenagers, he spent his birthday in Heaven.
Although I miss him and think of him every day, I am eternally grateful that my special boy has a guardian angel who knows every nook and cranny of Grandpa's farm. 
This afternoon at the farm our wanderer took wandering to a new extreme. We let our guard down for just a few minutes- he crossed a road, went to a pond, was missing for over 20 minutes... there are so many "what ifs" that keep playing through my head right now. 
I wish I could take these emotions and write something really moving with them. Something that will help you understand how scared I was today. Something that will help the world understand how serious wandering and autism is. But the thoughts in my head are spinning and I'm still trying to untie the knots in my stomach.
 
We are very very very lucky that we were able to bring our little boy home tonight.
Not all moms are so lucky.
 
Thanks for bringing him home to us today, Wes.
And happy birthday. 
 
Ever this day be at our side,
To light, to guard, to rule, to guide.
 

2 comments: