chevron background

Saturday, November 23, 2013

Velcro schmelcro

Yesterday morning, after watching him dig for his favorite socks and struggle to get his shoes on independently (because asking for help is such hard work...) Waylon came up to me with these puppy dog eyes that said, "Can you tie my shoes?" 
Only problem was, his lips couldn't say it. 

I asked, "What do you want, Waylon?" And I could see the pages of the dictionary in his mind flipping furiously through the few phrases he knows to try and find the right one.

He muttered, "It's broken."
Nope. I repeated, "What do you want?"
He said, "It's not yours."
Not quite. "What do you want, Waylon?"
So then he tried, "It's your turn."
Nope. 
And we're deadlocked in a staredown where his eyes are telling me, "You know what I want, Mom."
And my eyes responded, "Yes I know that I know what you want Waylon, but you have to learn how to say the words..."
And finally, the pages of the dictionary stopped flipping and I heard his cute little voice say,


"Tie my shoe."
YES!


So today, at the beginning of this week of Thanksgiving, I am thankful that we bought shoes with laces last Spring instead of Velcro. Or else I would have missed out on these beautiful words.

2 comments: