chevron background

Tuesday, September 1, 2015

deodorant and feelings

I am not typically an overly emotional person. I am not one to lose my temper or to "cry over spilled milk" (unless it is milk that I have painstakingly extracted from my bosoms for the nourishment of my offspring– this I have been known to spill and shortly thereafter freak the heck out).

Anyways, one might think that I would handle it well when I sent Travis to pick up Waylon's hygiene supplies for school, and he came home with this:
WHAT THE WHAT
The school supply list said "deodorant" (which I already object to, because my sweet little mama's boy smells as delightful as the lavender Johnson & Johnson's that I still bathe him in) NOT DEGREE FOR MEN. Cripes.
I did not handle it well.

Perhaps Travis was caught in the crossfire of all the feelings I have been feeling these past few weeks. 

I have been feeling a little bit stressed over a rather large therapy bill from the summer, and I have been feeling a little pissed at the insurance company for not paying it. I have been feeling a bit confused about how to decipher CPT codes and EOBs, and I have been feeling a bit like screaming-bloody-murder at the poor little insurance customer service lady because insurance companies are stupid and life is hard and MY HUSBAND BOUGHT DEGREE FOR MEN FOR MY EIGHT YEAR OLD.
I have been feeling pretty nervous that the clock is ticking and he is eight and he hasn't miraculously recovered yet. I have been feeling a little sad that Waylon's class handbook said they will be working on life skills and participating in the Special Olympics this year- things that I should be feeling excited about, but am just not ready to swallow. I have been feeling hopeful about the boatloads of {hella expensive} progress he's made this summer. When I say, "What's your name?" and he says "Way-yun" I feel like jumping out of my pants with excitement. When I got the text from his new teacher with his first teacher/Waylon selfie of the school year (because he is the cutest {and apparently best smelling} kid in class, you know), I was feeling so so so proud. And when I was trying to post this freaking adorable picture on facebook but I couldn't because MY FACE WAS WET (see first line... "I am not typically an overly emotional person.LIE.) <--- see what I did there- It's a boldfaced lie. hehehe


I was feeling like melting into a big puddle of mom love. 
Did you really look at that picture? Look at it. These kids are so in love with each other. Gahhhhhhhh. Mom love.

When I clean up my wet face and shut up about the deodorant thing and really take a look at my life,
I feel like the luckiest mom on the whole entire planet.

Even though MY HUSBAND BOUGHT DEGREE FOR MEN FOR MY EIGHT YEAR OLD.
Cripes.

2 comments:

  1. Lindy, I am going to be first in line when you finally write your book. The world is waiting very patiently for it. You have so much to give. Waylon is one very lucky young MAN to have you and Travis and his siblings and he smells so good thanks to dad. Hang in there!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lindy, I am a mom that did med billing for 20 years, about to be a Phd in psychology and I have a son with autism too. I laughed pretty hard reading your blog. Brilliant stuff. I sympathize with this story. ( I left med billing for a reason and became a psychologist because I needed one!)

    Do you begin the insurance billing call with, " I know the schools pay for SOME therapy for autism, but this isn't one of them?" The story of the autistic family life.

    BTW, missing the readings at Mass is typical for a lot of families, autism or not. We lived in the parish garden area every week with our kid for years. Thank God our parish had speakers outside, or we would never know when it was time for Communion. Sometimes, I wonder if the Catholic Church is more OCD about routine than our kids!

    Watch for my dissertation. It is all about us! 😃

    ReplyDelete