chevron background

Friday, April 4, 2014

This is who I've become

The world of autism is so vast... and confusing... and overwhelming.
I spent the afternoon making phone calls, because I'm still trying to come up with a summer therapy plan for Waylon, and trying to figure out how to pay for it.
Insurance companies, in a word, suck. Sorry to be so harsh, but it's true. You know it is.
Well I was needing one specific bit of information this afternoon- a simple request that I knew would take for-ev-er if I tried calling the insurance company. I knew just the person who could help me. Only problem was, I hadn't seen/talked to her in ages. Nothing a little facebook stalking personal investigation couldn't handle. Seriously though, I facebook stalked her.
I found her, and she answered my question in a heartbeat. She didn't even seem that freaked out that some random woman from her past could figure out what company she worked for and her extension's phone number. (Ok I'm really sounding like a creeper now). She was really glad to be able to help out, and she even let me have her cell # in case I needed help again and didn't want to re-stalk her. (She must not have been too scared).
Anyways, my point in all of this is: when I got off the phone with her, I felt as though "it takes a village" couldn't be more true. We have met so many people on this journey with hearts of gold that we wouldn't be privileged to know, if it weren't for Waylon. I've said many good-byes and given many hugs to therapists, teachers, and paras through the years that have always been followed with, "If you or Waylon ever need anything, let me know." Maybe it's one of those cliché phrases, I don't know. But I like to think that these people are offering their support because Waylon is freaking adorable and everyone who gets the opportunity to work with him falls in love. And since these people have made it their career, they are usually fountains of knowledge when it comes to all things autism. If you have a kid with autism, these are people that you want to have on your side. We are so blessed to have each and every one of them in our village.
So I don't care if it's a cliché or not. If you are one of those people, please know that I haven't forgotten your offer. However, if you did not give me your business card or your number scribbled on a cocktail napkin, when the time arises that I need your help, I will probably facebook stalk you and your company and hunt you down. It's what I do.
This is who I've become.


PS- Megan. Thanks for your help today. Seriously, you are awesome, and I am so glad I found you. (Wait... does that sound creepy again?)

No comments:

Post a Comment