chevron background

Monday, February 15, 2016

Groupies

I told Travis a month ago that we were going as a family to the Catholic School's Week kick-off concert at the kids' school. Last year, he gladly stayed home with the baby. But the concert was so good! How could I convince him to go? I said, "Travis- it's like AC/DC was at our children's school. You can't miss it again."
I just really really really wanted to be able to go somewhere as a family. Do you ever feel like that?
But still, just before we left the house, I got the usual- "Why don't I just stay home with Waylon and Lucy? You can go with the other kids and have a good time. It would be so much easier that way."
Easier? Yes. Most definitely. But heck to the no, I said. I just really really really want to be able to go to this as a family. Am I repeating myself?
We did all the prep work– "Waylon, we are going to the big kids' school. There will be music. It will be loud." We packed the headphones. The iPad. We drove separately, just in case.

Turns out, the kid loves live concerts.
Who knew?

Specimen A: 

I was pretty sure he would trip and crash into their set. Props to the Mikey Needleman Band for not stopping and asking the stimming/spinning dude down it front to take it down a notch.

Specimen B: 

He danced with his sister. And she danced back. In front of her friends. Her body language said, "Yeah, this is my brother with autism. Isn't he awesome?" Per usual, that girl amazed me with her unselfish love for others, especially Waylon. She owned it.

Parents of kids with autism: don't be afraid to try new things. Go places. For every five or 10 or 15 or 20 times your kid melts down in public and you are thoroughly embarrassed, there will be one time they far exceed your expectations. And your love tank will overflow.

We are groupies.

No comments:

Post a Comment